ABOUT UNAVSA & THE ANNUAL LEADERSHIP CONFERENCE
What is UNAVSA?
- The Union of North American Vietnamese Student Associations (UNAVSA) is a 501(c)(3) non-profit, non-partisan, community-based organization. UNAVSA is dedicated to cultivating the next generation of leaders who will serve as stewards of the Vietnamese community. Visit UNAVSA for more information.
What is the Annual Leadership Conference?
- The Union of North American Vietnamese Student Associations (UNAVSA) annually hosts a continental leadership conference that invites students and young professionals from across North America to gather for an event that will serve as a catalyst to motivate and inspire leaders within the Vietnamese-American and Vietnamese-Canadian community. Visit conference.unavsa.org for more information.
When and where will UNAVSA-16 be hosted this year?
- UNAVSA-16 is hosted from Thursday, July 25 to Sunday, July 28, 2019 in Vancouver, British Columbia at the Hyatt Regency Vancouver.
Who attends the UNAVSA Leadership Conference?
- University students and young professionals will participate in the conference. Most attendees are affiliated with a Vietnamese-American or Vietnamese-Canadian student organization (VSAs, VSUs, UVSAs, etc.) seeking to develop personal leadership, build on organizational management skills, and network with other leaders from around the North American continent.
How do I register for UNAVSA-16?
- Conference registration for a ticket to conference opens Thursday, March 21, 2019 at 6PM PDT / 7PM MDT / 8PM CDT / 9PM EDT. It is highly recommended that you pre-register and create a profile prior to conference registration opening. You can create a profile and register through this portal.unavsa.org. Navigate to the corresponding event you are registering for. Workshops and hotel registration are separate from conference registration. More information regarding workshops and hotel registration will be provided at a later date.
What is the difference between pre-registration and conference registration?
- Pre-registration does not guarantee a spot to conference. Pre-registration allows you to fill out all the necessary information prior to conference registration officially opening, thus making it easier and faster to finalize your registration and save time.
- Pre-registration does not require payment upon account creation. If you created a UNAVSA profile from previous conferences, you must create a brand new one. Please remember your email and password when creating an account. Alternatively, you can use social media (Facebook/Google) to login; therefore, you do not need to worry about passwords (this is the preferred method). You will need this information when securing your payment ticket once conference registration opens.
- In order to complete your conference registration and secure your ticket, payment will be required on Thursday, March 21, 2019 at 6PM PDT / / 7PM MDT / 8PM CDT / 9PM EDT. Once payment is complete, you will receive a confirmation email from the UNAVSA-16 Registration Committee.
- UNAVSA Alumni are welcome to participate in the pre-registration process. Alumni Registration will not be available until April 16th, 2019 (please scroll down to the Alumni section towards the bottom of the FAQs).
When does pre-registration open?
- Pre-registration will open on Tuesday, March 12, 2019. Click on the following link: portal.unavsa.org to pre-register for the 16th Annual UNAVSA Leadership Conference: “Beyond the Horizon: Y[ours] To Discover.”
- *IMPORTANT* During the “pre-registration” period, conference registration will be unavailable for purchase. You can only create a UNAVSA profile account during this phase.
When does conference registration open for UNAVSA-16?
- Conference registration for UNAVSA-16 will open on Thursday, March 21, 2019 at 6PM PDT / 7PM MDT / 8PM CDT / 9PM EDT.
What is the cost of conference registration?
- The conference registration fee is $125.00 USD (~$165 CAD) per attendee. There will be no early, regular, or late registration fee. This fee does not include hotel registration. Hotel registration and payment will be processed at a later date.
How do I know if my pre-registration is confirmed?
- You will receive an email confirmation once you submit your pre-registration information. If at anytime you need to update your information, you can do so with your account credentials.
Once I am pre-registered, when can I pay my conference registration fee?
- You can pay for conference registration once official conference registration opens on Thursday, March 21, 2019 at 6PM PDT / 7PM MDT / 8PM CDT / 9PM EDT through the same portal/website: portal.unavsa.org. Your conference registration spot is not secured until you have paid for your conference registration ticket.
What forms of payment are accepted?
- UNAVSA accepts payments through PayPal and/or credit/debit card. You do not need a PayPal account in order to pay for registration. Once tickets are available for purchase, you can select a ticket type to continue payment.
- When using PayPal to pay for your conference ticket, you may encounter additional fees, particularly if you live outside of the United States. Please be aware of potential foreign transaction fees related to your chosen method of payment.
- Since UNAVSA is a charitable 501(c)(3) organization, those living outside the United States would have to pay a fee of 3.7% for the transaction amount plus a fixed fee based on the currency.
- Please refer to PayPal’s page regarding international fees.
How will I know if my conference registration payment is processed and confirmed?
- You will receive a confirmation email from the UNAVSA-16 Registration Committee confirming your registration once you pay for your ticket.
How long will it take to verify my payment?
- Payment processing will occur immediately upon completion of conference registration. If there is high traffic on the site during the time of conference registration, it may take a few minutes.
What is included in my registration fee?
- Networking opportunity with almost 450+ students and young professionals from across North America (Canada and the United States)
- Access to interactive conference sessions and keynotes
- Admission to the Culture Show and Gala
- Meals provided during Conference weekend: Breakfast (Friday, Saturday, Sunday), Lunch (Friday, Saturday), Gala Dinner (Saturday)
- Access to the Night Market activities
- Access to the Resource Fair
- A UNAVSA-16 Conference T-Shirt
- Memories for a lifetime
- And so much more!
How do I get on the waiting list for conference registration?
- If you were unable to secure a conference registration ticket, you can select the waitlist ticket. A waitlist ticket secures a spot for you on the waitlist and it will be processed in the order it was queued. This does not guarantee a spot for conference.
How will I confirm that I am on the conference registration waitlist?
- You will receive an email confirmation once you submit your waitlist ticket.
When will I know if I have secured a conference registration spot through the waitlist?
- Once a spot becomes available and you are next in the queue on the waitlist, a member from the Registration Committee will contact you with the necessary information to secure your spot. You will have 48 hours to confirm your spot and pay for your registration ticket.
If I registered but am no longer able to attend UNAVSA-16, can I give up my secured spot to a friend on the waitlist?
- You are able to transfer your secured spot to a friend no later than Tuesday, June 4, 2019 11:59 PM PDT / 12:59 AM MDT / 1:59 AM CDT / 2:59 AM EDT. Once the deadline has passed, you can no longer transfer your ticket. See Refund and Transfer Policy section for more information.
- The transfer recipient does not need to be on the waitlist to be eligible for a transfer spot.
What other opportunities are available if I am not able to secure a registration spot for UNAVSA-16?
- Family Leader Applications
- Entertainment Talent Acquisition
- Visionary Scholarships
- #TakeMeToUNAVSA Campaign
- Regional Scholarships
- Follow our social media channels to stay up to date and discover other opportunities to engage with us.
- Facebook: Union of North American Vietnamese Student Association (UNAVSA)
- Instagram & Twitter: @UNVASA
When does Alumni registration open?
- Alumni Registration opens on: Tuesday, April 16, 2019. Your Alumni status must be verified before you can register for an Alumni seat. Be sure that you are registered as an a UNAVSA Alumni in the the Alumni Directory.
- Once the Alumni Relations Cabinet has verified your Alumni status, the Registration Committee will email you information on how and when you will be able to finalize your registration for conference.
- All UNAVSA Alumni are able to pre-register on Monday, March 12, 2019.
What qualifications must I meet to be considered a UNAVSA alumni?
- UNAVSA Alumni are any former officially recognized members who has served under UNAVSA for a minimum of one year as: Cabinet Staff, Conference Staff, Cabinet Director, Conference Staff Director, CORR, and/or Executive Board.
REFUND AND TRANSFER POLICY
Because UNAVSA incurs certain expenses prior to the conference, it is necessary to impose the following refund and transfer policy:
- One hundred percent (100%) of the registration fee will be refunded for cancellations received before or on Tuesday, May 21, 2019 by 11:59 PM PDT / 12:59 AM MDT / 1:59 AM CDT / 2:59 AM EDT.
- All transfer requests must be received by Tuesday, June 4, 2019 by 11:59 PM PDT / 12:59 AM MDT / 1:59 AM CDT / 2:59 AM EDT. UNAVSA will neither accept nor process any transfer requests after the aforementioned date.
- Fifty percent (50%) of the registration fee will be refunded for cancellations received after Tuesday, May 21, 2019, but before or on Friday, June 7, 2019 by 11:59 PM PDT / 12:59 AM MDT / 1:59 AM CDT / 2:59 AM EDT.
- No refunds will be given and no transfers will be accepted for cancellations received after the above-stated deadlines. This includes personal reasons, medical emergencies, and no-shows.
- In an event that any individual other than the person registered takes the physical place of the registered attendee, the registration slot will be forfeited immediately and all parties involved are not permitted to attend conference. Individuals are also subjected to further disciplinary action from their affiliated organization or regional governance.
- In the unlikely event that UNAVSA-16: “Beyond the Horizon: Y[ours] to Discover” is cancelled, attendees will be refunded the full conference registration amount excluding any processing fees in the original form of payment. UNAVSA will not be responsible for any other attendee related expenses including, but not limited to: transportation expenses, lodging, and other personal costs.
- Upon receiving your refund request, UNAVSA will contact you to verify your request. Once approved, a refund will be issued within seven (7) business days.
- Please DO NOT go through PayPal to request a refund. This will not expedite the refund process.
Can I get a refund or transfer my registration?
- Yes, you are able to cancel or transfer your registration. One hundred percent (100%) of the registration fee will be refunded for cancellations received before or on Tuesday, May 21, 2019 by 11:59 PM PDT / 12:59 AM MDT / 1:59 AM CDT / 2:59 AM EDT.
- If you would like to transfer your spot to someone else, all transfer requests must be received by Tuesday, June 4, 2019 by 11:59 PM PDT / 12:59 AM MDT / 1:59 AM CDT / 2:59 AM EDT. UNAVSA will not accept, process, or complete any transfer requests after the aforementioned date.
- If you are unable to transfer your spot, you can still request a refund. However, you will only receive fifty percent (50%) of the registration fee.
- Fifty percent (50%) of the registration fee will be refunded for cancellations received after Tuesday, May 21, 2019, but before or on Friday, June 7, 2019 by 11:59 PM PDT / 12:59 AM MDT / 1:59 AM CDT / 2:59 AM EDT.
- No refunds will be given and no transfers will be accepted for cancellations received after the above stated deadlines. This includes personal reasons, medical emergencies, and no shows.
- Please note if you miss the transfer deadline, and someone else shows up to the conference in place of you, they will not be able to enter or participate in conference activities. Individuals are also subjected to further disciplinary action from their affiliated organization or regional governance.
What is the process to submit a request for a refund?
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org with your first and last name and the email address you registered with.
- Once the Registration Committee receives your refund request, the team will process your refund and remove the ticket from your account. Once completed, the Registration Committee will then send you a confirmation email that they have processed your refund. You should get your refund in the original form it was submitted within seven (7) business days after your refund has been processed.
What is the process for a transfer?
- Email email@example.com with your first and last name and the email address you registered with. In addition, you must include the first and last name and email address of the person you wish to transfer your ticket to. To help us expedite the process, please CC the person you wish to transfer your ticket to.
- If the transferee has yet to do so, have that individual pre-register at portal.unavsa.org.
- Transfer Payment Clarification: Both parties will need to confirm the transfer process. Please “Reply to All” whenever you reply to ensure all parties receive the email. We will refund the payment to the transferer, and the transferee will need to complete payment for the conference ticket using the PayPal link provided to you by the Registration Committee. After we receive both your confirmations for the transfer, the transferee will have seven (7) days to complete their payment. If the payment is not paid by the specific deadline, a refund of the conference ticket amount will be processed to the original ticket holder (on the same card they paid with), the transfer will be forfeited, and the conference ticket will be returned to UNAVSA to be given to a waitlisted prospective attendee.
- Once we receive the confirmation emails from both parties, the Registration Committee will email you back.
- Should you have any questions regarding conference registration and/or alumni registration, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
TRAVEL & HOTEL LODGING
Which airport is best to fly into?
- Vancouver International Airport (YVR)
Where is the conference site?
- Hyatt Regency Vancouver
- 655 Burrard Street, Vancouver, British Columbia, V6C 2R7
- Click HERE for a map of Downtown Vancouver.
Will transportation be provided?
- No, transportation to and from conference site will not be provided. You will be
responsible for your own transportation.
How do we get from the airport to conference site?
- Uber and Lyft are NOT available in Vancouver, B.C. It is recommended you take a taxi or the SkyTrain. The SkyTrain is Vancouver’s transit rail system located on the upper level inside the YVR airport. You will need to purchase and load money onto a Compass Card.
- There are two SkyTrain transit route options you can take:
- Route Option 1 (25-30 mins): Take the Canada Line from YVR to Vancouver City Centre Station. It is a five minute walk from Vancouver City Center Station to Hyatt Regency Vancouver.
- Route Option 2 (25-35 minutes; includes a transfer line mid-way): Take the Canada Line from YVR to Waterfront Station. At Waterfront Station, transfer to the “Expo Line” towards Production Way-University and get off at Burrard Station. It is a one minute walk from the Burrard Station to Hyatt Regency Vancouver.
- If you do not want to transfer lines, you can walk from Waterfront Station to Hyatt Regency Vancouver. It is about a 12-15 minute walk.
Is there on-site parking at the hotel for those traveling by car?
- The hotel has underground parking for cars, with a clearance of six (6) feet. If your car has a higher clearance, contact concierge at 604-683-1234 for additional parking options. See below for parking rates:
- Self-Parking: $40.66 CAD (inclusive of $8.66 in taxes) or $31.28 USD / Daily
- Valet Parking: $50.82 CAD (inclusive of $10.82 in taxes) or $39.09 USD / Daily
How do I register for a hotel room?
- Please note that you must complete conference registration first. Hotel registration is not an option to those not officially registered for conference. You MUST be an official conference ticket holder in order to register and secure a hotel room.
- The official deadline to reserve a hotel room is Tuesday, June 18, 2019 5:00 PM PDT. Hotel bookings through the conference portal is a first come first serve basis. Reserving a hotel room early prior to the cut-off date is highly recommended due to a limited amount of rooms within UNAVSA’s hotel room block. We highly encourage you solidify your lodging as soon as possible to obtain the UNAVSA’s discounted group rate.
- After you have booked your room, go to your UNAVSA conference registration portal page and update your lodging and roommates.
Where and how do I pay for a room?
- Use the Hyatt Regency Vancouver hotel portal within your UNAVSA registration account for UNAVSA’s discounted rate for conference attendees.
- Only registered attendees are allowed to access the portal and book a hotel room.
- The room is reserved and processed on one credit card.
When booking my room through the Hyatt portal, will my card be charged immediately for the room?
- No, the credit card will not be charged immediately. Your card will be used to hold the room reservation.
If I will not be charged immediately for the room, when will the charge take place?
- The charge will be processed at hotel checkout.
Am I able to use a different credit card to process the room payment from the current one on file at the time of check-in?
- Yes, you can change the card on file at any time.
Is there a incidental/security deposit hold?
- Yes, there is a incidental/security deposit hold of $50 CAD per night.
When will I receive the incidental/security deposit hold refund?
- As long as nothing is charged to the room (i.e. room service, roll away beds, etc), no damage to the room, and nothing taken from the room. (i.e. a lamp, telephone, hair dryer, etc), the full incidental/security deposit hold will be refunded back within 2-5 business days after check out.
When is the last day to reserve a hotel room through the hotel’s portal for UNAVSA?
- The official cut-off date is Tuesday, June 18, 2019 5:00 PM PDT. Reserving a hotel room prior to the cut-off date is highly recommended due to a limited amount of rooms available.
What is the cost for a hotel room?
The price for hotel rooms per occupancy. Rates listed below are for price per night.
- Single Occupancy: $349.00 CAD
- Double Occupancy: $349.00 CAD
- Triple Occupancy: $384.00 CAD
- Quadruple Occupancy: $419.00 CAD
- Suite: $549.00 CAD
- View Room Additional $30.00 CAD per room per night
- Balcony Room Additional $30.00 CAD per room per night
- Balcony View Room Additional $50.00 CAD per room per night
- Regency Club: Additional $125.00 CAD per room per night
All room rates are subject to the appropriate federal, provincial, municipal, and local occupancy taxes and fees in effect at the time of the Group’s meeting. These are currently five percent (5%) Goods and Services Tax (GST), eight percent (8%) Provincial Sales Tax (PST), three percent (3%) Municipal Regional District Tax (MRDT) and one and a half percent (1.5%) Destination Marketing Fee (DMF). Total taxes and fees equate 17.5%.
How long is the UNAVSA group daily rate available for?
- UNAVSA group rate is available from Wednesday, July 24th to Monday, July 29th.
What is the hotel’s cancellation policy?
- You can cancel your reservations with no penalty up to 4:00PM, 48 hours prior to the arrival date. If it is cancel after that date and time, a 1 night room and tax penalty is applied to the card on file.
Is there an additional cost for a rollaway bed?
- Yes, it is $30.00 CAD plus taxes per stay for the rollaway bed. It is a one time charge of $30.00 CAD and not per night.
Does the room come with wi-fi?
- Yes, complimentary standard wi-fi is included
What amenities are provided in the hotel room?
- Click HERE for a complete list amenities provided by the hotel.
What time can I check-in/check-out of my hotel room?
- Check-in is at 4:00PM. Check-out is at 12:00PM. If you arrive early and the hotel have rooms available, then they can check you in early.
Where can I drop off my luggage in the event that I arrive prior to the check-in time?
- You can leave your luggage at the concierge/baggage check. Make sure to obtain a ticket stub to retrieve your personal belongings.
Am I required to stay at the hotel?
- No, you are not required to. However, UNAVSA has secured a discounted rate for guests booking rooms through us. Attendees are highly encouraged to book their stay at the Hyatt Regency Vancouver throughout the weekend of conference to ensure an unforgettable experience at UNAVSA-16!
What if I am looking for roommates to room with at UNAVSA-16?
- Join the UNAVSA-16 Conference Roommate Finder Facebook page to look for roommates.
If I am staying with people in a room, how will we handle reimbursements?
- The room booking will process ONLY one credit card.
- The re-payment between people staying in the same room will be handled by those staying in the room. The UNAVSA conference staff is team will not responsible for allocating and determining room cost splits amongst attendees per hotel room.
Who do I contact if I have any questions?
- For any questions pertaining to conference, hotel, and workshop registration, please contact email@example.com.